Pool Etiquette

I've been doing some cross training to try and shave some valuable minutes off my time for the Royal Victoria Marathon in October. One of these activities is swimming.

I've really resisted the idea of adding swimming to my training as quite honestly I haven't swum any great distance or speed since I was a teenager MANY more decades ago than I care to admit.

I donned that matronly workout bathing suit; strapped on those goggles, the suction from which makes my eye balls feel like they are going to pop right out; safely ensconced my children with their swimming classes and hopped into that pool.

Holy mother of Gosh! They aren't kidding when they say that swimming is one of the best all over work outs. I thought that I had great cardio capacity and that this would be a piece of cake. I managed to eke out 400m (not front crawl..be serious) before clutching onto the side of the pool for dear life to try and get some precious air into my lungs once again.

I just have one bitch...why don't people observe the rules of lap swimming? I mean, clearly these people that I was sharing a lane with were experienced lappers but a few of them seemed to be swimming-lane-impaired when it came to properly following the flow of traffic. They put this lovely, idiot-proof sign at the end of each lane that clearly shows you how to 'play by the lap swimming rules'-swim one way up either of the outside lanes, and then return straight down the middle. Obviously not so idiot-proof after all. I've never had to duck, back paddle and swerve as much as I did today just to avoid any nasty collisions that would have been nothing if not visually disturbing (can you say flabalanche?).

Oh well, I'll just focus on the benefits down the road as I contemplate attempting a triathalon some time in the near future. Heck, I run, I just bought a fancy new bike and now I'm splashing about in the pool...logical next step don'tcha think?

Anyone care to join me?

PS: It would be even better if the lifeguards wore this little number.
A man in a Japanese traditional swimwear Fundo...Image via Wikipedia


Comments

Alicia said…
hahaaa! i'd probably drown from staring at crazy butt floss!
Anonymous said…
What a nice little blog you ahve here. Although I can do without men in thongs...

I also see you are training for Eugene 2010. An excellent marathon choice!
Ha! Jamoosh likes boobs, yes, Jamoosh, I cyber-stalked your blog after Caution:Redhead Running called you out! :)

I say go for the Tri Ms. Demented Mom! I have dabbled in the Sprints and they are awful and awesome at the same time! If you like running a 5K with cinder blocks for shoes then a Sprint Tri is for you!

Fun blog! I'll have to stop by more often!

Amanda
Twincerely,Olga said…
yup!I gotta start swimming!!!I am gonna win a 5k in my age group!!Over 40 here too!!I almost had a heart attack on that pic!!!stop by

Popular posts from this blog

The Granny Patch Revisited.

It IS all about ME!

I'll Give You a Bitch Wrinkle