Endorphins Are Our Friend

I realized something that took me by surprise last week. We were away camping and despite my good intentions I only managed a 12k and a 6k tempo run for the entire week. (I biked and swam but the perfectionist in me figures this doesn't count).

By the end of that week, I felt jittery, irritable, jumpy and just plain shitty. I could not figure out what my problem was. Not PMS, not alcohol withdrawal (though camping does entail a bit of imbibing) and something a bit more than just plain bitchiness.

Holy crap, I was actually going through exercise withdrawal. I mean, I had heard other runners talking about the 'runner's high' and being 'addicted' to the sport but I really didn't pay much attention to it...everyone tends to wax prosaic about their chosen obsession.

A quick Google search came up with scads of articles debating whether or not this 'addiction-withdrawal' phenomenon actually exists. A great article in the Science Daily published in March 2008 discusses a study that seems to confirm what the majority of us long distance runners have known all along...it bloody well DOES exist.

As if I needed another reason to run?


Comments

Twincerely,Olga said…
I love your title!!! You are so right about withdrawl!!
Gaia said…
Hi this is my first visit. Just to confirm, there is such a thing as 'withdrawal' where lack of exercise is concerned. I am suffering from it now. Due to a knee injury, have not been out doing my hour long brisk walk, I feel sick.

Get back into it asap, you'll feel better.
Gaia said…
Hi jsut tagged you with the Kreativ Blogger award, pick it up from my blog. Cheerio.
Always a mom said…
Having a natural drive to exercise is such a blessing! I too was a runner for the last few years until LO and behold I got Pregnant quite unexpectedly (just after running a 10K race and was in training to run my 1st ever full Marathon. I had done a half-marathon. My "bundle of joy" is now 10 months old and I am walking several times a week but haven't gotten back to running...yet! :{ congrats by the way on being tagged by GAIA for your Kreativ blogging. You will now find even more followers...like Me! http://llmoore2.blogspot.com
Unknown said…
I totally believe in exercise withdrawal!

I went for so long without exercise that it was amazingly difficult to get going again. Now that I've fallen away from exercise I feel more exhausted (and grumpy) than I did before.

I must get my mojo back!!

Denise Burks

www.successinthesuburbs.blogspot.com
www.stepmotherinthesuburbs.blogspot.com
www.successfulweightlossinthesuburbs.blogspot.com
Twincerely,Olga said…
love it!!!I have major withdrawl if I don't run after 3 days!!!stop by
Cougar Tales said…
Wow! I have to say I am truly impressed. I find you very impressive. :-) I also get addicted to my workouts....but if I take more than 2 days off...I come back slower than ever. Strange...
- Cougs @ www.cougar-tales.blogspot.com
Just found your blog. LOVE. IT. And while I haven't been running long enough to really be experiencing the runner's high thing (there's a lot of running aching, tho - ha!), I totally hear you on the pool etiquette thing. Sometimes I get out there and it's like, WTF? Can no one else read signs and diagrams?!?

Popular posts from this blog

The Granny Patch Revisited.

It IS all about ME!

I'll Give You a Bitch Wrinkle